Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Theme for English 202


The instructor said,

When you’re at home tonight
Write a page if you’d like.
The words you write must be true,
And they must come from out of you.

I couldn’t sleep last night and had no good reason for it,
but I did save my apartment from burning to a pile of glowing embers.
Our dryer is broken; its timer forgot how to keep time
and my roommate forgot to keep this fact inside her mind.
She went to bed around 10 and let the machine run rampant.
Insomnia being my only companion at 1 am, I found it odd
to not hear the sound of perfect silence, instead hearing the low rumble
of a tired appliance built during the early Clinton years.
At last I arose and opened the dryer door, finding the items within to be quite dry,
quite dry indeed.
I then went back to bed and planned the morning’s lecture.

Did that count? No?

My biggest fear is going bald.
My favorite color is blue, and the teal color that the Mariners wear on occasion.
My shirt felt a bit too baggy today.
My morning consisted of two fried eggs, and a bit of songwriting.
I bought the new Wilco record on vinyl this morning, but I’m not really a vinyl snob.
I just think it’s cool.
I see intellectual douchebags and wonder if that’s what others see when they look at me.
I can be judgmental, negative, and piercingly cold.
I try to be charming.
I contain multitudes, or something like that.

The sun has now swallowed Lummi Island with the glint
of its reflection on the bay but the view from my deck is beautiful still.

I feel fortunate.
And thankful.
And lucky.

I once heard a wise man say:
Write it and it shall be true.

This is my theme for English 202



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the poem! (And for getting that Whitman quotation right for me!!

    ReplyDelete